2012 Indianapolis 500 Trivia Contest
For the third time in four year’s (I got too busy last year), Oilpressure.com has a trivia contest. This one may be the toughest yet, simply because these aren’t multiple choice – they are short answer. These are Donald Davidson type questions, which means they are not easy and will require some research.
The first year, the prize for getting the most right was a warm & fuzzy feeling. In 2010, the prize was an Oilpressure.com polo won by Megan Bickel (Bickelmom). This year, the prize is vintage memorabilia – a set of four prints by artist Ron Burton; of cars driven by AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Jim Clark and Parnelli Jones in Ol’ Calhoun. These were donated to the cause by my very good friend John McLallen. To see these prints, you may either view Tuesday’s edition of One Take Only or view the article I wrote about these prints a little over a year ago here.
The rules are simple. Answer as many questions correctly as possible. Send me an e-mail with the numbered answers. If the answers aren’t with the corresponding question number, it will not be entered. I don’t have time or the desire to count to see which answer goes to what question. Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon central time (1:00 pm eastern) Monday May 21. The entrant with the most correct answer wins the prints and the dubious distinction of being recognized on this site. Good Luck!
1. Over 100 years, only three drivers have ever been able to claim that they have led the most laps all-time in the history of the Indianapolis 500. Who are they?
2. Who was Cyrus Patschke?
3. The winner of the Indianapolis 500 has been drinking milk in Victory Lane for every consecutive year since what year?
4. What was the final year for a Watson chassis to race at Indianapolis?
5. What type of chassis was Al Unser first assigned to in his rookie year at Indianapolis?
6. Who is believed to be the only driver to have driven in the 500, served in World War II and returned to race again at the Indianapolis 500?
7. Legendary car owner Andy Granatelli also owned STP. What did STP stand for?
8. What famous NASCAR team ran pit stops for Jim Clark when he won the Indianapolis 500 in 1965?
9. What happened every time that Larry “Boom-Boom” Cannon started the Indianapolis 500?
10. What was the first year that a Lola chassis raced at Indianapolis and who was the driver?
11. Name all of the members of the Andretti & Unser families that have won Rookie of the Year in the Indianapolis 500?
12. Who was the first father/son combination that attempted to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 and in what year?
13. What was the last year a Chevy engine won the Indianapolis 500?
14. What was legendary Chief Mechanic George Bignotti’s “other” profession?
15. The current track record was set with what car/engine/tire combination?
16. How many different engine manufacturers started the 1995 Indianapolis 500? Name them.
17. In what year did the “new” garages first appear at IMS?
18. Who was AJ Foyt’s first car owner for the Indianapolis 500?
19. What team did Al Unser drive for in his last season that he practiced for the Indianapolis 500?
20. What was Paul Tracy’s sponsor in the controversial 2002 Indianapolis 500?
21. What year was the scheduled distance shortened to 300 miles?
22. What was the average career finishing position in the Indianapolis 500 for driver George Souders?
23. Who is the only driver to ever lead the Indianapolis 500 while wearing a beard?
24. What Rookie of the Year winner in the nineties ran under an assumed name?
25. There are three drivers that had only one leg, who have driven in the Indianapolis 500. Name them.
26. What driver holds the record for fewest laps completed, yet still running at the end of the Indianapolis 500? What was the year?
27. Who was the last riding mechanic turned driver to drive in the Indianapolis 500 and in what year?
28. Who was the first driver to use a full-faced helmet in the Indianapolis 500?
29. What was the first year that women were allowed into the pits at IMS?
30. For what team did Tony Kanaan drive for in his first Indianapolis 500?
31. What winning driver holds the record for fewest laps led in an Indianapolis 500 victory and in what year?
32. Who were the first and last drivers to win back-to-back consecutive Indianapolis 500’s?
33. Which driver did AJ Foyt replace in the Dean Van Lines Special during his rookie year in 1958?
Tiebreaker: There are currently eight living drivers that drove both front-engine and rear-engine cars in the Indianapolis 500. Name them.