Oilpressure.com Indy 500 Trivia Contest
For the second year in a row, Oilpressure.com presents an Indy 500 trivia contest. This site was only about three weeks old when I did this last year, but still there were a handful of participants that e-mailed their answers in. There were no prizes other than a warm, fuzzy feeling. Last year’s contest was won by “Jim in Wilmington”. I’m assuming Jim’s fuzziness has worn off by now.
This year, the budget is slightly bigger and I will be offering one top prize only (sorry, second place is the first loser). The prize will be a genuine brand-new 100% cotton polo shirt embroidered with the Oilpressure.com logo shown.
This quiz will be slightly easier than last year’s, because it is mainly multiple choice. There are thirty-three questions (for obvious reasons), along with three tiebreaker questions and there may be some repeat questions from last year’s as well. So get those old programs out and e-mail your answers to email@example.com. Answers must be e-mailed to me by one week from today, Monday May 24 at Noon Central time. The correct answers and the winner will be posted next Tuesday, May 25. Good Luck!
1. This driver is one of three drivers to drive in the Indianapolis 500 with an artificial leg.
(a) Shorty Cantlon
(b) Mel Kenyon
(c) Al Miller
(d) Henry Banks
2. George Stewart was the given name for which driver?
(a) Rene Thomas
(b) Jules Goux
(c) Albert Guyot
(d) Leon Duray
3. What nickname did Wilbur Shaw give to his wife?
4. How many total years could Mauri Rose claim to be the reigning champion of the Indianapolis 500?
5. Name one of the last three drivers to drive an Offenhauser engine in the Indianapolis 500, and in what year?
6. What was the last year that Sid Collins called an entire 500-mile race at Indianapolis?
7. What driver was originally scheduled to drive the winning car in 1951?
(a) Tony Bettenhausen
(b) Bill Vukovich
(c) Joie Chitwood
(d) Cecil Green
8. In what year did Tony Hulman buy the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?
9. What year saw AJ Foyt drive while still recovering from a broken back?
10. Who was the third driver in 1966 to make up the “super team” that also consisted of Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart?
(a) Jim Clark
(b) Dennis Hulme
(c) Parnelli Jones
(d) Rodger Ward
11. Who gave Rick Mears his first opportunity to drive in the Indianapolis 500?
(a) Roger Penske
(b) Bill Simpson
(c) Dale Coyne
(d) Dick Simon
12. Who was Cyrus Patschke?
13. Mario Andretti won in 1969 driving a Brawner Hawk. In what type of car did he begin the month in 1969?
14. What phenomenon occurred in every Indianapolis 500 that featured Larry Cannon as a driver?
15. The winning driver for the Indianapolis 500 has been drinking milk in Victory Lane every consecutive year, since what year?
16. When Helio Castroneves won in back to back years in 2001 & 2002, he became the first driver to do so since which driver?
(a) Al Unser
(b) Al Unser, Jr.
(c) Rodger Ward
(d) Bill Vukovich
17. In what year did a Lola chassis first race at Indianapolis?
18. What was the last year that a Watson chassis raced at Indianapolis?
19. What was Tony Bettenhausen’s nickname growing up as a child?
(b) The Tony Pike Express
(c) The Tinley Park Express
20. What driver became a top executive with Firestone during World War II?
(a) Louis Meyer
(b) Ted Horn
(c) Mauri Rose
(d) Wilbur Shaw
21. Who was the first driver since Ray Harroun to announce his retirement in Victory Lane?
(a) Bob Sweikert
(b) Pat Flaherty
(c) Sam Hanks
(d) Jimmy Bryan
22. What driver served in World War II as a pilot ferrying military airplanes from coast to coast?
(a) Rex Mays
(b) Ted Horn
(c) Duke Nalon
(d) Ralph Hepburn
23. What driver was the first to win two Indy 500’s in a row?
(a) Tommy Milton
(b) Wilbur Shaw
(c) Mauri Rose
(d) Bill Vukovich
24. Who was the first father/son combination to attempt to qualify for the Indianapolis 500?
25. In what car did Bill Vukovich take his rookie test?
(a) The Blue Crown Special
(b) The Boyle Maserati
(c) The Novi
(d) The Fuel Injection Special
26. Which of these drivers was not originally scheduled to drive a wedge-shaped Lotus turbine in the 1968 Indianapolis 500?
(a) Jackie Stewart
(b) Graham Hill
(c) Joe Leonard
(d) Mike Spence
27. What three men posed for the front row photo for the 1969 Indianapolis 500?
28. Who became the first driver to walk to Victory Lane?
(a) Johnnie Parsons
(b) Gordon Johncock
(c) Bobby Unser
(d) Johnny Rutherford
29. When did Janet Guthrie first attempt to qualify for the Indianapolis 500?
30. How many Andretti’s have won Rookie of the Year honors?
31. What was Tom Sneva’s profession before becoming a racecar driver?
32. Before their return in 1995, when was Firestone’s last year at the Indianapolis 500?
33. Who was Tony Kanaan’s car owner during his first Indianapolis 500?
(a) Steve Horne
(b) Gerry Forsythe
(c) Mo Nunn
(d) Michael Andretti
1. There are currently eight living drivers that drove both front-engine and rear-engine cars in the Indianapolis 500. Name them.
2. Who is the Chief Mechanic that has won the most Indianapolis 500’s? Name the years and the drivers.
3. What driver was posthumously awarded twelfth place in the Indianapolis 500 and in what year?